Slider

Calgon, Take Me Away...Again

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Last Saturday (not yesterday), Dad and I were watching Alvin and the Chipmunks with Daniel.  Dad was really enjoying the movie and decided to get his Caddyshack Gopher.  He loves it.





Dad wasn't feeling very well and by Tuesday night, I knew something was going on.  I asked him if he wanted to go to the ER.  He told me he was "fine" and would be "OK".  

Wednesday morning, I took Mom to get her cast off.  Her arm is still very swollen and she needs a lot of therapy.  I also took her heart monitor off 2 days early (day 28) because, well, just because.  When I took her back to the house, I checked on Dad before I went back to work.  He was not doing well.  Yet again, he refused to go to the hospital but he agreed to a doctor appointment the following day.  Long story short....we went to the ER that night.  


Dad, Kevin & I  arrived at the hospital around 8:30 p.m.  Kevin and I got home at 5:00 a.m.  Mom wasn't able to make the trip.  I was back at the hospital around 10:00 a.m. and Dad still didn't have a hospital room.  Thankfully, the exam room he was "stuck" in was actually rather nice.  

Picture of Kevin around 3:30 a.m.


Around Noon on Thursday, Dad finally got a room on the 5th floor.


He was diagnosed with a UTI infection of E. coli that had gotten into his bloodstream.  He also had a staph infection.  The doctor told us we got there in the "nick of time".  The antibiotic they gave him the first day didn't work; that was very scary to me.  Once the test came back that it was E. coli, they were able to give him the appropriate treatment.  

I told him to smile and he gave me this silly face.  Thankfully, Dad always has his sense of humor and is very kind and funny to his nurses.  

Here he is watching Roger Federer v. Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon.  He told all of his nurses about his tennis playing days....


I took Mom to her weekly hair appointment yesterday, brought her home, and headed back to the hospital to be with Dad.  After 2 full days (and 3 nights) in the hospital, Dad came home yesterday.  He said he is feeling much stronger and we are hopeful that his antibiotic will do the trick.  

Scott took Blossom to the vet on Thursday; she was diagnosed with arthritis in her knee.  He took Mom to physical therapy on Friday; she did well.  They were surprised at how swollen her hand/arm still is; it looks bad.  

In the meantime, Aunt Zell is helping me try to find someone to come in a couple of days every week and help out with my parents.  Dad seems to think it is a good idea; Mom said that when she gets her hand stronger, she can do everything again (including driving).  Pray that Mom will agree to the help because it is necessary.  

Scott has been very supportive through all of this.  Not only did he take Mom to physical therapy, he picked up Dad's medicine and grilled steaks for supper last night just because I told him I really wanted a steak.  I appreciate the thoughtfulness.  

On Thursday, I dropped by to check on Mom before heading to the hospital.  The cat that thinks he lives there walked in the door with me.  While I was talking to Mom, I realized that I didn't know where the cat went.  I walked to their bedroom and found this....


When I got to the hospital I showed Dad this picture and said, "Look what Mom does when you are gone".  LOL.

Meme of the day:






1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your parents will be getting help at home. It's too much for you to do on top of working a full-time job and driving your folks to doctors appointments and hospitals. Scott's a doll for grilling you steaks. He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan