Slider

Welcome 2021!

Sunday, January 3, 2021

 New Year, Same Me!  Feeling hopeful that Covid infections will get better as the year goes by.....

Let me begin by saying that Mom and Dad made it to the attorney's office on Wednesday.  It wasn't without a little nervousness as they both had a little trouble walking from the car to the office.  Long story short, Kevin and I are now both authorized to handle any situations that may arise regarding healthcare and finances.  This is such a relief to know that we can help make their life easier by taking care of anything they might need.  

My therapist pointed out to me that I've been stuck in  fight or flight" mode due to managing healthcare emergencies with my parents.  On my way home from work Thursday, I received a call from Mom.  She wanted me to come over and check her blood pressure because she was getting a really low reading.  I realized how right my therapist was about "fight or flight" mode.   Unfortunately, Mom's doctor closed his office at Noon on New Year's Eve so I knew I couldn't call him and I did NOT want to go to the ER after our close brush with Covid the week before.  Thankfully, Mom's blood pressure was a little better when I arrived.  I've been checking it every day and so far, so good.  I will get in touch with her doctor on Monday to see if he want to cut back on some of her medication.  I am so looking forward to the holidays being over and doctor's offices being on a regular schedule. 

I had a sort of epiphany today about taking care of my parents.  I didn't choose caregiving, it chose me.  Until now, I have been a reluctant caregiver.  Not because I didn't want to care for my parents but because I was scared.  I've been so afraid of making the wrong decision and I've been afraid of watching them struggle and lose the ability to do things that were once second nature.  There have been at least 3 times  now that I have ignored my Dad's wishes, made him go to the hospital, only to be told by the doctors that if we had waited any longer, he wouldn't have made it.  Once, Dad went to bed and told me he was fine.  I insisted on calling the ambulance and by the time he arrived at the hospital entrance the doctors were shocking his heart.  I've decided to CHOOSE caregiving for my parents.  I want to make their lives as easy as possible.  It won't be easy but it will be worth it.  Sure I wish that we had not reached this stage but I can do it.  I will do everything I can to make their lives comfortable and happy.  This doesn't mean that I'm going to do anything differently, I'm just going to better accept that this is where we are.  

Currently, I am studying the book of John.  In my study yesterday, I came across the verse where Jesus says, "I am the light of the world."  (John 8:12a)  As I was meditating on what that meant, the sun came out after 3 1/2 days of solid clouds and rain.  I immediately thought to myself that sunshine represents hope to me.  I then realized that is one of the many things Jesus is to me.  He is the hope of the world.  

While cleaning out my mom's living room closet yesterday, I came across some photos I had never seen before. 



Daniel made a fireplace out of a can.  What you can't see is the tea light inside of the can.  Daniel is always creating.  I document it here so that I can show him someday.  


Here's to a Happy 2021.  I'm sure it won't be easy but may we find joy along the way!  







1 comment:

  1. Hey Julie! I'm just catching up on my blog reading and wanted to let you know that we are praying for you and your family! After 2020, one of the people I follow said that 2021 should be 2020-fun! I'm not sure it's started out that way, but here's to the Peace that passes all understanding. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan